[rescue] Sun 711

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu May 2 13:27:35 CDT 2002

Well the i860 itself may not be in production, but its still in some
relatively new storage gear (a no-name RAID 5 storage array, a year or two
since manufactured, dunno when designed).

Intel has a habit of popping out one MASSIVE prod run at EOL and selling
chips out of that batch forever. They still have ppro's left fer chrissakes.

And yes I know what the i960 is. I've had raid cards based on it. I know the
difference between the 860 and the 960.

Oh and the 860 was introduced in '89. A lot of professional grade equipment
will keep the same design for YEARS, so I wouldn't say the 860's validity
died 10 years ago.

There's a few companies out there making vector processing engines TODAY
with the 860. I was looking for 860 applications and apparently these
companies are still in production. There were also several high end memory
and I/O controllers for testing machines and other industrial applications.
There were also video processing boards and frame grabbers. I even saw a
laser printer listed as having an i860 in it. Most of the applications I saw
were using the proc as an I/O controller of some sort, either video, memory,
or storage.

Remember just because something isn't ideal, or doesn't even make since for
a job doesn't mean that people wont use it for that job.

Chris Byrne