[rescue] Sun 711

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 2 01:09:58 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 06:52:39AM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> I love BeOs. When it works. Which isnt very often.
>
> If you have exactly the right hardware and software BeOs absolutely kicks
> ass. A middleaged MacClone running built in scsi based on an adaptec or
> symbios chipset with ATI graphics and a 3com network card for example. Or if
> you are spectacularly lucky a BeBox.

But, alas for me, no hardware 3D acceleration in either case.  In my
experience, both a Matrox card (Millenium or Millenium II), and a Voodoo3
worked fairly well.

> I truly wish that Plam would release all of BeOs as open source if only t
> piss off Jean Louis Gasse. He's an even bigger asshole then Theo and that's
> saying something.

If they released it as open source (including the not yet released stuff
like the new GL), I'd have hope of it being usefull pretty quickly.  All
I need is simple TNT or G200 GL support to start finding it usable.

> I myself have a dual ppro 200 intergraph machine. It's makes a great Linux
> box though I had a hell of a time getting X to run on it. I would have loved
> to use BeOs on it, only one problem. The video card will only do 640x480 in
> B&W mode so no BeOs

What video card is in it?  I'm guessing it is either a Matrox of some
sort, or an Intergraph card.  If it is an intergraph card, I'll trade you
a Matrox (Millenium or Millenium II) for it.  If it is the Matrox, I would
have expected it to work.

--
Joshua D. Boyd