[rescue] Sun 711

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu May 2 00:21:24 CDT 2002

You mean other than the massive kickbacks and huge discounts it offers
manufacturers who develop or implement "new applications" (i.e. sticking
them where they don't belong) for Intel processor technologies?

Actually Intel makes a processor well suited for high bandwidth I/O. It's
called the i860 and is used in quite a few controllers ;-)

Remember, its not the suitability (or lack thereof) of the processor that's
the problem, its the motherboard architecture that's the problem.

Anyone who's read my many rants on lack of bandwidth or other bus contention
issues in the PCI bus knows what I think of it in general (great for cheap
and compatible high volume stuff, crap for performance or throughput)

Chris Byrne