[rescue] Sun 711

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Wed May 1 20:48:52 CDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> > likely be able to get more than enough disk cheaply.  The trick would be
> > getting a machine with multiple HIPPI interfaces, loads of CPU (an S/390
> > G1's CPU's probably wouldn't be up to the task of doing any processing,
> > but for playback, it would be fine) and good video (S/390's don't *do*
> > graphics).  The Onyx RE2 comes to mind.  Problem is that HIPPI stuff can
> > get expensive, if you buy retail.
>
> The backplane will handle it, (Powerpath2 is 3.2GB/sec IIRC), The
> problem with using an RE2 Onyx is that you'll need a rack system, not
> a deskside.  I have a deskside, and they max out at 2GB RAM and 4
> R10K/195's (or would that be R10K/250's?)  And only 1 IO4.  That means
> 9 wide SCSI busses (Fast-Wide)  with a theoretical maximum of
> 180MB/sec-overhead. Unless you can get HIPPI Mez Boards.

But I was talking about having the disk fired over HIPPI by the mainframe.
Mainframes can handle gobs of disk I/O with no trouble.  And mainframe
disk is cheap.  The only thing that the Onyx would need to handle would be
the HIPPI traffic and it's own swapping/OS-related activity.

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"