[rescue] Sun 711

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed May 1 20:46:25 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:21:39PM -0400, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:

> The G1 would have way more than enough disk bandwidth, and you would
> likely be able to get more than enough disk cheaply.  The trick would be
> getting a machine with multiple HIPPI interfaces, loads of CPU (an S/390
> G1's CPU's probably wouldn't be up to the task of doing any processing,
> but for playback, it would be fine) and good video (S/390's don't *do*
> graphics).  The Onyx RE2 comes to mind.  Problem is that HIPPI stuff can
> get expensive, if you buy retail.

Just about any Onyx should be able to play back high res video...  Err, if
it can hit the proper resolution that is.  I know that you can set some
really low refresh rates on various SGIs.  Wonder how much that lets you
boost the resolution as well.

I doubt he will take that route, but if it were me, I might consider pushing
for it.  That would certainly be one way to sell oneself.  Bragging rights,
like have an Avid is bragging rights.

--
Joshua D. Boyd