[rescue] Sun 711

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed May 1 20:42:20 CDT 2002

> likely be able to get more than enough disk cheaply.  The trick would be
> getting a machine with multiple HIPPI interfaces, loads of CPU (an S/390
> G1's CPU's probably wouldn't be up to the task of doing any processing,
> but for playback, it would be fine) and good video (S/390's don't *do*
> graphics).  The Onyx RE2 comes to mind.  Problem is that HIPPI stuff can
> get expensive, if you buy retail.

The backplane will handle it, (Powerpath2 is 3.2GB/sec IIRC), The problem
with using an RE2 Onyx is that you'll need a rack system, not a deskside.  I
have a deskside, and they max out at 2GB RAM and 4 R10K/195's (or would that
be R10K/250's?)  And only 1 IO4.  That means 9 wide SCSI busses (Fast-Wide)
with a theoretical maximum of 180MB/sec-overhead.
Unless you can get HIPPI  Mez Boards.

George