[rescue] Sun 711

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Wed May 1 20:21:39 CDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > You could also do something like dual HIPPI to a mainframe or something like
> > that, but Sridhar would know more about that than I would.
>
> Now there is an idea.  Instead of all the controller cards and drives,
> one IBM mainframe (cost, $2k I believe Sridhar said the otherday,
> assuming that the G1s are fast enough for this), and 1 1TB array,
> which is prepresumably $2K since Sridhar was recently saying mainframe
> storage is $1.5k/TB.

The G1 would have way more than enough disk bandwidth, and you would
likely be able to get more than enough disk cheaply.  The trick would be
getting a machine with multiple HIPPI interfaces, loads of CPU (an S/390
G1's CPU's probably wouldn't be up to the task of doing any processing,
but for playback, it would be fine) and good video (S/390's don't *do*
graphics).  The Onyx RE2 comes to mind.  Problem is that HIPPI stuff can
get expensive, if you buy retail.

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"