[rescue] RE: Sun 711

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed May 1 18:19:12 CDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> I am just trying to find something to put the drives in. I would like
> to get a couple 711's, but I need to know if they will operate at U160
> or not (I am checking docs.sun.com now).

The drives may support it but I doubt the 711's internal cabling/wiring is
LVD spec. I might expect to see it hit 80MB. I have a 711 and an
Intraserver SCSI card, so I can probably try it out sometime soon, but I
wouldn't set my hopes too high for a product sold for 40MB max
controllers.

There are 160MB/sec specified jbods out there... Fortra is cool
(www.fortra.net) with some 10-HH-drive 3U arrays with single or dual bus
configuration. I used one at my last job with an Intraserver dual LVD160
card on a Tatung Ultra 60 rackmount, and it was quite nice. Purty blue
lights too. http://www.fortra.net/products/specsheets.html and
http://www.fortra.net/products/pdf/JBOD.pdf are good.

--Rob