[rescue] Uses for home networks

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Sun Mar 31 21:02:05 CST 2002

> > Sun also has that grid engine thingy for diy distributed projects.
> >
> > For rendering, you can (it seems) get PovRay to work over a network.
> >
> > To tell you the truth, I have three machines that just play a little
> > early AI network war game. Send him to the game grid!

I've been playing with Tachyon for distributed raytracing.
Unfortunately, its scene description files are not what you'd call
standard.  There's ways of converting povray files to Tachyon-digestible
files, but they're kind of ugly.

I've also started using a distributed version of bladeenc to chew through
MP3 encoding.

They all use LAM/MPI, which should build on just about any machine...

http://www.lam-mpi.org/