[rescue] Re: Sun SPARCStorage Array

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Mar 31 18:46:49 CST 2002

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

> Hello there, I've been looking over some of the older Sun Arrays on
> eBay lately, particularly the SPARCstorage Array Model 100, and 200.
> Can either of these be used with a PC with the correct hardware and
> cables? If they can't be easily used with a PC, are there any other
> Sun based arrays that would be easy to use? I would be using it has a
> high performance disk array (Raid 5, or 0+1) on a Windows 2000 Pro
> box. Thanks in advance!

I've done a bit of research on this, having come into possession of four
RSM214 arrays recently. I had an offer of a bunch of older ones too but
decided not to foot the shipping bill.

The 214 and 217 arrays (purple and gray ones, seven drives) expect
200-240V AC input from what I've found. The internal interface is SCA
Single-Ended SCSI so you may well be able to upgrade the 4GB disks, given
the limits of the power supply and heat issues of course. THe external
SCSI interface is standard HVD (high voltage differential) so you should
be able to connect it to anything with supported HVD.

The SSA 100 series (with the drawers of 10 disks each) are a bit quirkier,
in that they are SCA SE SCSI internally and fibre channel externally. I
remember hearing about some odd FC controllers required for some of them,
but others will work with standard FC controllers easily and cheaply found
on ebay. Memory hints that the SC (two square connectors) interface uses
the normal cards, and the ST (two round connectors) interface uses the
unobtanium ones, but this may be subject to memory parity errors. Should
be 110V input though, although 30 drives will munch a fair bit of power.

If you haven't already looked, go to http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/
and check out the official documentation for whatever you're looking for.
It may well help out... but sometimes it only helps if you're looking to
confirm what you think you already know.

The easiest Sun "arrays" to use with a PC would probably be the Multipacks
(model 711?) which are simply 6- or 12-drive SCA enclosures for UltraSCSI
SCA disks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2013694076
has interesting Sun math (4x9.1 != 54.6) but that's vaguely what you're
looking for. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2010692282
is closed but has good photographs. You can see Sun's list prices at
http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?cid=49254&parentId=67714

As an aside, I went and searched ebay for "multipack" and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1717409073 Who buys
these on ebay? But who am I to talk, having bought one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1717731242 (as a gag
gift, not for my own use)

Hope this helps,
and happy easter from my easter bunnies,

Rob