[rescue] Sparc IPX's

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sat Mar 30 17:05:25 CST 2002

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 05:03:43PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > Also makes me wonder who had these things when they say *memory* was
> > removed for security reasons... Some property of RAM that is, as yet,
> > unknown to me that would make this necessary? ;)
>
> You've never owned ex-government machines, have you? They take anything
> that might have stored any classified information, and *destroy* it.  RAM
> and HDs..

Actually, I have. I'm a contractor to the US Navy. Most of the Navy
folks don't worry too much about removing the RAM from machines before
they are "surplussed."

My company is taking custody of an old Sun Enterprise, three IPXs and an
HP 9000 from the Navy next week. They will all arrive *with* memory. :)

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine
ssandau at bath.tmac.com