[rescue] 1st SGI purchase

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Mar 29 10:19:47 CST 2002

> In defense of the Indy:
>
>     * If you have a Sony power supply and a decent hard disk, the Indy
>       is almost silent

Totally - I have a 9GB Seagate in mine and you'd never know the thing
was on.  Likewise my Indigo-1s  Get a decent hard drive in those things
and they're nearly invisible to your ears.

> Indy Drawbacks:
>
>     * The NVRAM issue is a good reason to avoid them.

Not a deal-killer AFAIC, It, like most NVRAM issues, can probably be
solved with a little ingenuity.

>     * The bang for buck ratio isn't as good with the Indy, either.

Nod.  However, they're still sweet machines.  Especially R5k-180s - as
mine is.  They're no Indigo-2, but they don't complain when asked to
perform.  Video capture is decent, if not spectacular - and it has the
nifty IndyCam for playing with.

I personally like my Indy very much.  That may be partly due to the fact
that it was my first *running* SGI machine...

Kurt