[rescue] 1st SGI purchase

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 29 09:15:07 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Avoid the Indy.  It's a nice machine, but the NVRAM issue is enough to
> burn anyone away from SGIs forever.  Also, avoid any "deskside" as a first
> system.  There's a lot more hardware to wrestle with, and they eat lots of
> electricity.

 Sorry if this has been recently discussed... but I'm curious as to what
you mean about this "NVRAM issue" with the Indy.

 Is it the similar situation with the R4k Indigos where the NVRAM &
battery are soldered onto the board and are just a royal pain to replace?
(And then attempt to re-enter all the pertinent information?)

 Does anyone have any pointers for successful NVRAM replacement/modding so
I can be prepared when it does happen for me? (I've got an R4K Indigo, and
a friend has an Indy).

-Matthew