[rescue] Re: Re: SGI Video - PC Monitor (*)

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Fri Mar 29 07:22:19 CST 2002

> This is what I originally thought, but then I saw the email that I replied to
> in my original message (written by Michiel) where he saw all three sync
> signals on the SGI 13W3 connector.  So, I'm thinking that maybe the
> 13W3->HD15 is unintentionally confusing my tube by passing too much or only
> part of the sync lines.

 My guess is that the correct pre-configured 13w3->hd15 cables to make a SGI
workstation work with a non-SOG monitor don't exist. You always have to rewire
a bit for the convertors I've seen and heard about.

>                13W3 pinouts
> -----------------------------
> Pin             SUN                             SGI
>            Many Systems                 Low End & Mid Range Systems
>                                                    (Indigo, Indigo 2 ,
> Indy)
> -----------------------------
>  A1     Red analog video                Red analog video
>  A2     Green analog video              Green analog video
>  A3     Blue analog video               Blue analog video
>   1     DDC SCL (serial clock)          Mon.type 3
>   2     DDC power (5.0V) (Fused)        Mon.type 0
>   3     No connection                   CSYNC Composite Sync Output
>   4     Ground (DDC return)             HDRIVE Horizontal Drive Output
>   5     Composite sync                  VDRIVE Vertical Drive Output
>   6     DDC SDA (serial data)           Mon.type 1
>   7     Vertical sync                   Mon.type 2
>   8     No connection                   GND Ground
>   9     No connection                   GND Ground
>  10     Ground (sync return)            GND Ground

 A SUN 13w3->vga convertor would short pin 4, so you wouldn't get horizontal
sync to your monitor. Let's see, I think you should modify the 13w3 part, since
pin4 is probably already shorted inside the convertor and pin3 is NC. You'll
need to feed the Hdrive(4) from the SGI to the Composite sync (5) of the
convertor and the Vdrive(5) to the vertical sync (7) of the convertor if I'm
not mistaken.

 Michiel