[rescue] HP 715/80

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Mar 28 13:53:26 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:19:02PM -0500, Mike Katchabaw wrote:
> > I reinstalled and have been exploring this wonderful world that is
> > HP-UX. Wish there was a single shell and term that would work in a
> > halfway-sane way.
>
> I snagged a 715/50 a little while back.  The console always behaved
> rather oddly as far as I was concerned too.  With X running, you never
> notice it though.

The vanilla shells aren't that comfortable either, though I do get along
with them. zsh from http://hpux.connect.org.uk/ with vi keys (my
favourite bloatware) also jumps all around.
Maybe I've just been spoiled with history that has reverse searches and
command-line editing beyond backspace and all this newfangled stuff. =)

> > > system manuals are buried as deeps as the old Alpha manuals (were?).

Is anyone stacking up on the manuals BTW? Can't seem to trust vendors
to do that.

> > So far I've gotten along. The lvm doesn't seem to allow growing
> > partitions "live" and I can't find any sound applications anywhere
> > (volume control for the headphones would make life easier).
> If I remember correctly, the lvm will let you grow partitions on the
> fly, but it depends on the partition.  I think the reason is that it
> must unmount the partition, resize it, and then remount it.  If something
> is running and using something in the partition you want to extend,
> the unmount will fail and won't let you extend it.  You may have better
> luck bringing it up in single user mode, and then trying to extend it.

Exactly. Umounting /var is rarely possible in a fully running system =)

> I ran into the same problem with the lack of sound program as well.
> So, I wrote my own that works similar to the audiocontrol program on
> Solaris.  It is a little crude, but it gets the job done.  Let me know
> if you want it through e-mail, and I'll send you a tarball.

That would probably be nice. It's probably not so big that it would get
caught in the mail.

--
Hackman - keittivwarea