[rescue] HP 715/80

Mike Katchabaw katchab at csd.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 28 12:19:02 CST 2002

> > Picked it up today. So far I haven't gotten much done. It boots very
> > slowly. Apparently quite a few services try to resolve something.
>
> I reinstalled and have been exploring this wonderful world that is
> HP-UX. Wish there was a single shell and term that would work in a
> halfway-sane way.

I snagged a 715/50 a little while back.  The console always behaved
rather oddly as far as I was concerned too.  With X running, you never
notice it though.

> > What I would like to (but HP sure doesn't want me to) find is a manual
> > for that. The HP-UX manual sets at least are available. But the old
> > system manuals are buried as deeps as the old Alpha manuals (were?).
>
> So far I've gotten along. The lvm doesn't seem to allow growing
> partitions "live" and I can't find any sound applications anywhere
> (volume control for the headphones would make life easier).

If I remember correctly, the lvm will let you grow partitions on the
fly, but it depends on the partition.  I think the reason is that it
must unmount the partition, resize it, and then remount it.  If something
is running and using something in the partition you want to extend,
the unmount will fail and won't let you extend it.  You may have better
luck bringing it up in single user mode, and then trying to extend it.

I ran into the same problem with the lack of sound program as well.
So, I wrote my own that works similar to the audiocontrol program on
Solaris.  It is a little crude, but it gets the job done.  Let me know
if you want it through e-mail, and I'll send you a tarball.

Mike.