[rescue] Re: SS20 Network

Phil Schilling phils at gcstech.net
Wed Mar 27 05:05:37 CST 2002

s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Thanks, Bill.
>
> It was the cabling. The cable I made is fine (tested good with another
> machine) but for some reason this SS20 won't do anything without that
> connector I had been using to put two (straight-through, I think) Cat5
> cables together. I ended up using the long cable run I made WITH the
> connector and a two-foot straight-through at the switch end.
>
> Now it's all happiness and light.
>
> Odd thing, that. I wonder what that connector is, and why a regular
> straight-through cable doesn't work.
>
> ---sambo
Sambo,
	Do you have a continuity tester for cat 5 cabling?  The extender must be
rolling that cable into a crossover of some sort.  Don't remember the whole
thread but I know Bill mentioned putting a standard crossover cable in there,
did you try that?  One of those extenders caused my a little head scratching
not too long ago.  Had to move a wire in an office and when I reterminated the
end and hooked it up it tested  from patch to wall as crossover 1-3 2-6.
Finally found someone had one of these extenders up in the ceiling between the
wall jack and the patch.  FWIW.

Phil
--
"I talk to myself, and when I do that, I know I am talking to an
           intelligent person" - Nelson DeMille

        Phil Schilling - GCS Tech - phils at gcstech.net