[rescue] need IRIX CD (C Front End CD)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Mar 26 17:26:51 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 04:18:46PM -0800, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> I have, without a doubt, c_dev.sw.c, d_dev.man.c, and c++_dev.sw.c++ all
> installed on this machine.  So, the stuff is on the regular 6.5.x CDs.

what the hell is wrong, ARGH!!

i am not having a plesant IRIX experience here.  i don't EVER want to hear
anyone complain about Solaris.  bah.

> They're on the Development Foundation CD, according to the directory
> listing.  When installing, be sure to tell swmanager to look at
> [CDROM]/dist/dist6.5, the packages are here, not in [CDROM]/dist like
> distributions normally are.  You *might* hae to explicitly check those
> packages off in swmanager to get them to install (kinda like the BZFlag
> fiasco).  Installing these packages may also require some dependencies
> on the 6.5 foundation CDs, but I can't recall.

Inst> from /CDROM/dist/dist6.5
Reading product descriptions ..  13%
Reading /var/inst/hist
Reading product descriptions ..  25%
Setting distribution to /CDROM/dist/dist6.5
Reading product descriptions .. 100% Done.

Inst> list
  Selection: i=install, r=remove, k=keep

  Subsystem Types [bdrc]:  b=reBoot needed, d=Default, r=Required, c=Client
             only

  S  c++_dev.sw.c++ [d]                 0   C++ Compiler
  S  c_dev.man.c [d]                    0   C Compiler Man Pages
  S  c_dev.sw.c [d]                     0   C Driver

so there they are.  installed.  why the hell won't MIPSpro see them?

> Now, you *may* need to install the 6.5.x overlays on top of this, then
> patch to the latest patch from SGI's patches library - though I seem to
> recall you said that this is what you were trying to do in the first
> place...

the first time around i did that and it was completely impossible to get the
dev foundation and libs installed.  now that i have dev installed this time
maybe i can go ahead and install .15m and then see if i can install MIPSpro
7.3.12

> Give this a try, I'm still trying to reconstruct how I got it all
> installed.  I'll update y'all if I come up with anything useful.  If you
> have any more questions, let me know...

this is really starting to piss me off.

i'm going to go ahead and install .15m and see if that does the trick.  what's
the worst thing that's gonna happen?  i need to re-install, no big whoop.  it's
easier now since i've done it twice, and minus all the god damn CD swapping it's
actually pretty quick.  plus i don't lose anything since IRIX stores /etc in
some odd place that isn't / or /usr since i mkfsed them and after installing the
second time noticed that i hadn't lost anything in /etc.  that's cool.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)