[rescue] FDDI on Sparc 5 / Indigo2 / DEC3000

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Mar 26 12:58:49 CST 2002

On 2002.03.26 19:01 Bill Bradford wrote:

> Check your duplex settings.. It should be able to swamp a 100mbit card
> easily...
Sure should this machine be able to saturate a 100MBit line. I suspect
the driver (Phobos) or the EISA implementation in the Indigo2 to be,
uhhm, suboptimal. The 3c597 hack is known to be slower than possible.
See: http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/fastether.html (The throughput of
5.35MB/s there was measured with a R10K machine, my R4400 machine is
expected to be slower. And why didn't I see this URL bevore I spend
120,-DM on that card?)

Duplex. Hmm. Didn't thought about that. When I made the test I connected
the Indigo2 via cross over cable to a i386 with a DEC Tulip 21140 card
running NetBSD.

> Make sure that both ends are at 100baseT full duplex, and that its NOT
> (repeat NOT) set on auto-negotiate.
Auto-negotiate did not work, so i forced the cards to 100MBit/s.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen