[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Mon Mar 25 18:25:38 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Adrenaline can do amazing things when you have this huge thing in your face
> > coming at you.  I was able to push off it and let the momentum carry the
> > weight past without landing.  I actually got hurt more by the aluminum
>
> i had a 6' DEC rack with a couple hundred pounds of gear in it slide down a
> flight of stairs and pin me against the wall.  landed with my back against the
> wall, and the angular weight of the rack resting against my knees as i was in a
> squating position as well as having it rest it's downward weight directly on my
> one foot.
>
> my foot was sore, as were my knees, and i have a couple scars on my right arm
> where the sharp pointy-edged wireguide at the bottom of the rack sliced into me
> a bit.  all-in-all no permanant dammage.
>
> but let's talk adrenaline.  the first words out of my mouth were:
>
> "Well... *that* didn't go as planned."
>
> the next words were of course (very calmly said):
>
> "Mark, could you get this thing off of me please?"
>
> to which he pulled and i pushed until i could scoot out of the way.
>
> then the post-adrenaline shakes came, drank some water and went back to moving.
>
> it was a GREAT weekend. :)

Hmm.  Adrenaline.  I once had a DECsystem 5810 fall on me from a height of
almost two feet.  For those who don't know, it's the same,
chassis/supplies/backplanes as a VAX 6000.  It's heavy.  It was on me for
about 3/4 seconds.  What I said was, "AAH!".  After that 3/4 second, which
felt more like half an hour, we rolled the machine into my garage.  I was
sore for a week afterwards.

Peace...  Sridhar