[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Mar 25 18:55:24 CST 2002

> Whats the most expensive piece of equipment you've
> accidentally destroyed, and gotten away with it without having
> to pay for it?

A 2-month old Compaq Contura laptop (386/20Mhz).  The power connector
(on the transformer) frayed slightly to my own fault. So instead of
buying a new power adapter I decided to solder the thing back together.
Something I did was Bad, and it fried the whole laptop - *all* the magic
smoke escaped.

I took in to the repair center and had it fixed under warranty - they
had to replace every single component except the LCD.  I still have it
here, it even still runs too!

Kurt