[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Mon Mar 25 16:01:15 CST 2002

As I related here once before, I blew up that (new) Powerware UPS that I
acquired from freight surplus by shorting the 48V batt supply to ground
with my favorite #2 philips screwdriver.  At the end of the day, I was out
a screwdriver and a 1 ohm resistor--I consider myself very lucky.  That's
got to be the absolute _dumbest_ hardware mistake I've made in recent
years.  I'm still embarrassed by it.

At work I once had a new $1k label printer let the smoke out.  Something in
the SMPS went when I attached a serial cable to it.  I don't know what
happened--ESD perhaps.  I really didn't think it was my fault, but I
explained the situation to the manufacturer and they didn't raise a fuss
over giving us a warranty replacement.

newell