[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Mon Mar 25 15:46:17 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:50:48PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
    [snip]
> Poll:
>
> Whats the most expensive piece of equipment you've
> accidentally destroyed, and gotten away with it without
> having to pay for it?
    [snip]

Engine on a GMC Gindy-body truck.

Here's the story... I was 15 and doing oil changes in my Uncle's
garage. I had never worked anything bigger than a pickup and couldn't
find the shop manual but did find the volume of oil and the location of
the filter from the owner's guide. The head mechanic was in a rush and
wasn't answering questions so I drained it, replaced the filter and put
in the oil (you see it coming?). I move it into the back lot and driver
picks it up. I go on a parts run on a motorscooter and 100 feet from
the garage nearly wipe out on fresh, clean oil. Oh, sh*t. An hour
later, tow truck drags the thing in with a seized engine. I get sent
home and mechanic goes over the truck with a fine-toothed comb. I
didn't remove the original gasket. I got lucky because that particular
engine had a recalled oil-pressure sensor and never warned the driver.
GM picked up the tab.

- Ross