[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Mon Mar 25 15:14:13 CST 2002

	Non-Computer: Dropped a bulldozer transmission while working as a
logger in Montana. The last day I was driving it, the bulldozer was being
strange about shifting. I got on a plane the next morning and came home.
Couple of days later my uncle called to ask me what was wrong with the
bulldozer. I lied and said it was fine when I parked it as I was afraid my
bad handling may have caused the breakdown. Cost $15,000 to fix....

	Computer: Yamaha 8X Scsi CDRW. Had it in a full tower case under my
desk in the top slot. Found that inconvenient as I had to reach under the
desk then upwards to place CDs in and out. So I moved it to the bottom 5 1/4
slot. The next day took a cd out, turned around to get another, when I spun
back around my knee clipped the drive door and broke the gears inside. Poor
drawer was at an almost 45 degree angle sticking out. I shoved it all back
together and called the online company I bought it from and claimed "it just
quit working" They sent me another immediately as a replacement. Needless to
say it got installed back into that top slot, not where I pulled the other
from.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO