[rescue] FS: SGI O2 system (FOAF)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 25 15:12:09 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:03:06PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On March 25, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > >   Oh MAN...cut $900 off that price and it'd be reasonable.
> >
> > So, do you have a source for machines of that configuration for $900 less?
> > I'd like to hear?  That is certainly more than similar machines go for on
> > ebay, but not $900 more.
>
>   Ok, is it the video input option that's making this thing worth more
> than $300?  I bought two of them in that config without the video
> option for $275 well over a year ago.  I must admit that I don't know
> much about the video option or its value.

I'd say it is a combination of the video option (which probably was standard
at the time he got the machine), and the monitor.

It isn't common for O2s with the video option to go for less than $400,
although sometimes with out that option they go for little enough to be able
to upgrade seperately for less money.  And, a good 20" monitor will cost you
$200.  Still subtract $200 for the monitor, and it seems we are at least $400
too high (and personally, I'd say closer to $500 to $600), especially since
that was only Irix 6.3.

Of course, if it is an MVP bundle, with the software installed, it should be
worth a little bit more, maybe. At least it would have been until recently,
thanks to Adobe being a pain.  Unfortunately, if your machine gets borked,
you will never be able to install illustrator or photoshop on another one.
I'm not sure if the same applies to premiere.  Composer Lite would be kinda
cool, but I also don't know how hard it would be to move to a new O2 if the
old one broke.

--
Joshua D. Boyd