[rescue] format quantum viking 4.5 GB disks

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 25 13:27:46 CST 2002

Hi

  I have a sparc 2 running solaris 2.6 from a SEAGATE ST 42400N disk
on 3.  I also have a Quantum Viking 4.5 GB on 0, which has been "wiped
clean".
I am trying to revive this quantum drive.
  When I start "format" , it lists the type of drives. I select "other".
When I am putting in the disk specs, it asks me the number of cylinders. I
put in 6176(-2). When it asks "sectors per track",   (I look at the presumed
specs of this disk - it says 126 to 216)  and put in either 126 or 216.
Nothing
seems to work.  Is there a way to put in the specs so that I can start
reviving this disk?

Shankar