[rescue] Slightly OT

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Mar 25 02:30:14 CST 2002

[ On Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 23:30:06 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Slightly OT
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:59:58PM -0600, Eric Hall wrote:
>
> > 3. The Zealot - Only runs one operating system on every workstation (Dec, Sun, whatever!)
> > he/she owns, and is trying to get everyone to switch.
>
> Do we have anyone who meets that?  It seems to me that everyone here cares
> more about putting to machines to use rather than using one and only one OS.

Pick me!  (I really meant it when I said "_all_ of the above"!)

I've always been an upgrade maniac, though lately I've tamed down a bit
though that's only because I now have source to almost everything I run.
(I haven't fired up my 3B2's because I don't have new enough software or
source for them and I have better uses for 400W of power than ancient
SysVr3.2!  :-)

Having source is very important to me -- more important than making
something run just to run it.  Having good source is very important too.

Together that all generally means not wanting to run old vendor supplied
software.  It also means sticking to one OS so that I have more time to
pay attention to its quality and polish it where necessary.

Since I don't like Intel-based systems that much (though I now run way
too many of them even at home), and since I do have a fairly wide
variety of machines, to date that has meant I run NetBSD everywhere.
It's the most polished, most portable, freely available system I can
find.

(once upon a time I wanted to run Plan-9 on everything, and that would
probably still be possible, but it's not practical unless I can win some
huge lottery and forget having to write and support software for other
people at the same time as I "play" on my own systems)

--
								Greg A. Woods