[rescue] Slightly OT

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 25 01:10:11 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:59:56AM -0600, Dan Debertin wrote:

> Ah, you're a Real Graphics Programmer (or a game player), not someone
> like me, who just wants to be able to have XFig and Netscape on the
> same screen without having to avert my eyes ;).

Well, that's me, when I don't get distracted.  I'm not too much for games,
although I keep considering writing an OS Fighter (virtuafighter amoung
billy g, tux, and beastie), and a distributed MMORPG.

> Yeah, I'll bet Linux has more people working on this sort of
> thing. *BSD people really aren't much interested in high-end graphics,
> in general.

See, I wish the BSD people would.  For video IO, there is an opertunity to
go in and code up a clean standard for how it is done, and then start porting
drivers.

On linux, there are two video for linux projects that are messy, and
unfocussed, and a lot of proprietary standards.  If I wanted to sell an
editing system for linux, I would be forced to make it a turnkey system
because otherwise people would want a choice of hardware to use, and among
reasonably good boards, the drivers are all different and proprietary.

That is what Linux Media Arts does btw.  And they still sell Broadcast 2k, in
case anyone is interested.  But, I think Broadcast 2k sucks.  I'm surprised
that people are managing to sell it for HD editing.

--
Joshua D. Boyd