[rescue] Thoughts on system noise...

jeff borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 18:27:55 CST 2002

At 6:28 PM -0500 3/24/02, Bill Vinson wrote:
>I have recently gotten a Sparc IPX.  I love the little beast, but I
>have noticed that the fan noise combined with a high pitch whine of
>the 1GB SCSI drive I put in it can be somewhat annoying (Even when
>under the desk)... I have been experimenting with multiple drives to
>quiet it down, but so far none have helped :)  As I hope to do more
>of this, how do you all deal with system noise?  I have several macs
>and pcs and of which are fairly quiet, but these older drives seem
>to be less designed with noise in mind...

I have seen some good (and bad) ideas from visiting the overclockers sites.

Some good pointers:

1)
try to mount anything that makes noise, with rubber washers between
contact surfaces. For hard drives, it is a good idea to rig a wire or
otherwise make sure the body of the drive stays grounded to the
chassis.

2)
You can replace the fan in the power supply with a better model.
Be careful, if you have never poked around in a power supply before.

2a)
I've gotten a bunch of Panaflo fans. They are of high quality and
move  a good amount of air without being too loud.

3)
On cheap PC stuff, I saw out the fan guards to reduce air turbulence.

4)
Have another unix machine? Learn how to run it diskless.

   --jeff