[rescue] Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Mar 20 10:57:39 CST 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 08:11:11PM +1200, ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:

> Do you have any recommendations for cheaply upgrading one of these systems? I'd like to run fairly intensive simulation software and would like to get one of the 4-way R4400 boards - but it seems unlikely that I'll ever get one for much less than 1900-2000 dollars. I'd appreciate any guidance you can give me.

i don't know what quad R4400 boards go for, but if you look, you can find quad
R10K boards on ebay for anywhere from $700-$1200 each with $1200 generally
being a buy it now, or at least a high reserve for those people who want to
squeeze every last penny out of the deal.  if quad R4400 boards really are $2k
then you need to get quad R10K boards since they are cheaper. ;)

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)