[rescue] Am I stupid? or does NetBSD not support i386 smp?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Mar 19 23:43:46 CST 2002

On March 20, George Adkins wrote:
> I realize that you have your NetBSD Zealotry to uphold, : )
> (Just kidding, I run NetBSD on everything but a few machines)

  I've been fucked by FreeBSD and saved by NetBSD too many times.

> Seriously, then is that NetBSD SMP locking re-write going to come of age?
> It, like sparc-smp and *goddess knows* how many other snacktacular
> improvements have been on the 'Real Soon Now' burner for
> _How_many_years_?
>
> Or are we waiting for NetBSD 4.9.16 for any of these?

  I've explained this upteen times by now...the point is that as much
of the SMP stuff as possible was done in a platform-independent way,
and as such, took a whole lot longer.

  SMP on i386, VAX, and Alpha have been stable for some time.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "Watch those lateral G's man,
St. Petersburg, FL               I've got sandwiches in my lap!" -Sridhar