[rescue] IRIS keyboard

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue Mar 19 23:25:07 CST 2002

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 11:24 pm, you wrote:
> >At 11:06 PM 3/19/02 -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> >>I'm desperately in need of a KVM switch, but I know there's nothing
> >>that will support an IRIS keyboard.  I wonder how hard it is to
> >>make a little black box that will convert between an IRIS kb/mouse
> >>and PS2 kb/mouse signals.  Any ideas?  Anybody ever tried this?
> >
> >Since the Personal Iris just uses a 9 pin serial cable for the
> >connection, wouldn't it be easier to use an A/B switch instead?  You
> >can't combine PS2 mouse/Keyboard signals with the SGI Personal Iris
> >ones unfortunately.
>
> The idea is to use a ps2 kb/mouse and a 20E21 monitor on an Indy, the
> Crimson (hence the IRIS kb), an HP C200 and a PC for games.  So an
> A/B/C/D switch is fine... I just need to have everything talking the
> same way for the kb/mouse.

how about using a ps2 kb/mouse to connect to the Crimson through remote
x-display? then you could use the indy, the C200 or the PC to get to the Irix
desktop on the crimson...

(or you could use Irix's xdm-alike login to remote display the indy, remote x
display of apps or xdm to get into the C200, and rdesktop or VNC to get to
the PeeCee, all from the Crimson Desktop... after all, the Crimson would be
the coolest to have for a desktop machine!)

George