[rescue] Am I stupid? or does NetBSD not support i386 smp?

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Tue Mar 19 23:04:47 CST 2002

> On March 19, George Adkins wrote:
> > You know, I could have sworn that NetBSD supported SMP on i386, but I cannot
> > find any documentation admitting it on NetBSD's site to save my life!
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts on this, or are we sill limited to only FreeBSD for
> > Multiprocessor support on Intel CPU's.
>
>   I ran it on a dual PPro a long time ago...it worked fine.  I think
> it's still in a cvs branch, though, and I haven't looked at it in a
> long time...James Sharp would be the guy to ask.

Yeah, it does, but as Dave said, its not in the main cvs branch.  Lemme
see if I can find the instructions...

*rummagerummagerummage*

Ah-ha!

---- CUT HERE ----

1) check out a full -current kernel source tree
2) use the "sommerfeld_i386mp_1" branch for arch/i386:
   cd sys/arch/i386
   cvs update -rsommerfeld_i386mp_1

3) use a kernel config such as GENERIC.MP / INSTALL.MP to build a
kernel.

You want both MULTIPROCESSOR and an ioapic device:

ioapic* at mainbus? apid ?

You definitely want DIAGNOSTIC, DDB, DEBUG, and LOCKDEBUG turned on.

---- CUT HERE ----

The sommerfeld branch is not always in sync with -current, so it may not
compile at all.  But if you do get it to actually build a kernel, it
should be fairly solid.