[rescue] Urgent - 12-way SGI Power Challenge XL server, please help

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Mar 18 10:15:11 CST 2002

On March 18, ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Oh, one other thing.
>
> Before I commit myself to this system, does anybody here have opinions about these machines, or knowledge of design flaws or short-comings?

  They're wonderful machines.  It's a simple as that. ;)

> Of course I realise that these machines are absurdly impratical for a home network (high power consumption, very loud fans, upgrade options severly limited by lack of parts availability etc) but I can't bear to see one of these systems trashed for lack of a good home.

  Huh?  They're not THAT bad for home use.  Many of the folks here run
much larger systems in home environments.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "Watch those lateral G's man,
St. Petersburg, FL               I've got sandwiches in my lap!" -Sridhar