[rescue] Couple of questions from a SPARC newbie

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 16 02:38:42 CST 2002

On Saturday, March 16, 2002, at 03:10 AM, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 23:05, Bill Vinson wrote:
>> 1.	Is there anywhere that has PDF hardware manuals for the IPX?  I
>> looked at Sun, but have yet to find any, but I love to dig into to all
>> the info I can get on my hardware.
>
> Hmm, don't know, haven't actually looked.  docs.sun.com would be the
> right place to look, but the IPX probably isn't there any more.  The sun
> hardware reference by James B. is THE resource for these machines.

Not sure if I have seen this hw ref or not.  Have a link by chance?

>> 2.	Is there somewhere cheap I can order a new NVRAM?  Is it hard to
>> install?
>
> Mouser used to have them.  I just soldered a new battery onto the dead
> ones that I have.

I have a feeling I will start out just buying one from Mouser.  $12.80
is good since my soldering iron has gotten lost sometime in the last few
years.  I may experiment with adding a battery to the old dead one when
I remove it.

One thing the NVRAM FAQ didn't say or I didn't see (now that I have
found it) is what to do if you don't have any info as the NVRAM was dead
before I got it.  I know I could fake a host id and mac address but is
there any other way to know what the system was set as?

Thanks again for all the great info,
Bill