[rescue] Couple of questions from a SPARC newbie

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Mar 16 02:10:37 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 23:05, Bill Vinson wrote:
> A generous individual in my Linux Users Group (TriLUG) was kind enough
> to give me an old SPARCstation IPX.  I have never owned a Sparc before,
> but always have wanted to play with one.  I don't have a monitor or
> keyboard yet, but I have managed to rig a serial console using a Mac to
> PC modem cable and a null modem adapter.  It seems I have a dead NVRAM
> chip as I get a battery failure (f2000003) and the mac address is
> ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.  And it kindly tells me to "Replace TOD/NVRAM".
>
> Here are some newbie questions I have:
>
> 1.	Is there anywhere that has PDF hardware manuals for the IPX?  I
> looked at Sun, but have yet to find any, but I love to dig into to all
> the info I can get on my hardware.

Hmm, don't know, haven't actually looked.  docs.sun.com would be the
right place to look, but the IPX probably isn't there any more.  The sun
hardware reference by James B. is THE resource for these machines.

> 2.	Is there somewhere cheap I can order a new NVRAM?  Is it hard to
> install?

Mouser used to have them.  I just soldered a new battery onto the dead
ones that I have.

> 3.	It has 16MB and 2 framebuffers (internal + 1 sbus card).  Can I add
> an SBUS ethernet adapter to turn it into a firewall/router?  I also plan
> to buy at least 16MB more memory.  Is there anywhere cheap you all can
> recommend?

Sure, assuming that you've got a spare SBUS slot.  I'd expect the
ethernet adapter to run about $40.  I've had a hard time finding them
any cheaper than that.

> 4.	Will any AUI to UTP adapter work to plug in cat 5 cable?  I saw
> some cheap ones on ebay for Cisco routers, but AUI converters are
> ubiquitous right?

Yes, any AUI to UTP connector should work fine.

> 5.	I haven't decided what I will run yet, but plan on either running
> OpenBSD or OpenBSD + Solaris on a second drive (to play with
> occasionally)

I'd just go with OpenBSD/NetBSD.  Solaris will suck on that machine,
unless you put a LOT more ram into it.

> 6.	Doesn't seem to boot.  "boot disk" says "The file just loaded does
> not appear to be executable".  I assume this means there is no OS on the
> system.  It tries to boot off the net by default.

Yeah, sounds like it's pointing at a non-kernel image on the disk, or
some such nonsense.  Installing an OS will help.  When it boots up, if
you break into the prom (STOP-A, or send a break over the serial line),
you can tell it to boot from the disk by default.  If you don't get an
OK prompt, type 'n' and that should get you to the useful prompt.

> 7.	Considering picking up a couple of 411 enclosures for an external
> drive at CD-ROM.  Any good suggestions or is ebay best?

Yeah, unless somebody on the list offers you some.  :-)

> Thanks all for any help or good links so I can learn more.  I know it
> isn't worth sinking too much money into this guy (And I couldn't even if
> it was as I still haven't found a new job :), but I love old hardware
> and I have been wanting a small cool looking firewall to replace my
> large 486.

www.sunhelp.org has links to all of the places you need to look.  :)  Go
Mr. Bill!  Enjoy your new toy!
	Greg