[rescue] Quadra 840av questions

Jeff Borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Sun Mar 10 01:59:58 CST 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Hmm.  So, if I'm running MacOS 7.6, and I open images for installing MacOS
> 7.0.1, is it going to be friendly with me?  All I can seem to find is 7.0,
> 6.x stuff, and I think I see something that allows me to upgrade to 7.5.  I
> want either 7.5.x or 7.1.  I don't know which.  I know that 7.1 will work, but
> I think 7.5.x might be better, if it would actuall work.  The most important
> thing though is that I need Quicktime 2.0, and I need to be able to talk over
> the ethernet to a file server.

7.1 was solid for me. as was 8.1. the 7.5.x felt a little flaky to me.
YMMV

Do you need QT 2.0 or "QT 2.0 or better"?

> I'll try it.  Am I right that ID3 equals a pin on the 1st and 2nd ID pins,
> and none on the 3rd pin (the 1st and second pins being the ones labeled 0
> and 1).

Sounds right to me. while you are at it double check your termination.

>> I'm not a guru either, at this point I would be giving the mac a static ip
>> if that is possible in your situation. I'm sure the solution is an
>> interesting one though!
>
> I'll try that.  How do I figure out if it is working?  I'm sitting at the
> linux machine pinging the IP I gave the mac, and I'm getting nothing.  I'm
> going to try a different AAUI unit..  Still nothing.

I WISH i had a machine I could run macTCP on so I could see what you are
seeing. It might give me a clue. I'm drawing a blank.

Wait a minute. you said are running 7.6? that is open transport networking.
Is there a reason you are trying to use MacTCP? It was replaced in Open
Transport by a Control Panel just called TCP/IP. do you have that control
panel? There is something fishy here.

--jeff