[rescue] Silicon Graphics Iris Crimson 4,400 RISC 150 Mhz

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri Mar 8 08:52:26 CST 2002

>   Although harder to find, there is IRIX 5.3+XFS. So, even on 5.3 you4re
>not always limited to EFS.

Interesting, I haven't seen such a beast.

>   The 6.2 CDs do have both an IP17 sash and an IP17 fx. At least my set
>has ;-)

Mine do to... it just doesn't work.

>   It4s just called sashIP17 (or was that sash.IP17?) and fx.IP17, you
>can4t use sashARCS because Crimson doesn4t have an ARCS PROM. So booting
>your Crimson and running fx from the PROM should look like this:
>
>   boot -f dksc(0,Y,8)sashIP17 dksc(0,Y,7)stand/fx.IP17 --x

This will hang.  On *ANY* IP17.  the 6.2 cds have a known bug in the
fx.IP17, google on it.

>   Where Y is the SCSI ID of the CD-ROM. I4m not sure which one has a dot
>(.IP17) and which not. However, you can always look that up by mounting
>the 6.2 CD on another IRIX box.
>
>   If your system is an RE Crimson... there4s a nasty bug in the PROM that
>sometimes doesn4t echo anything back to the graphics console. You might
>need a terminal to install IRIX on such a system. I never had an Crimson
>RE, so I4m not completely sure about what the exact procedure & problem
>was, but I remember people reporting having trouble.

Actually there's a PROM patch on 6.2 that fixes it... but the problem
remains that FX doesn't work on IP17s from a 6.2 cd.

>   Blender is 6.5 only nowadays. You need to find an older version that
>runs on 6.2 - they even had both an IRIS GL and an OpenGL version back
>then.

It still works great.

daniel