[rescue] Silicon Graphics Iris Crimson 4,400 RISC 150 Mhz

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Mar 7 22:54:44 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:34:40PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:

> Thats a *DAMN* good deal.  I have two left *hint* *hint* and they are
> going for $285.  I have a Crimson 150mhz/256mb/2x9gb/RE as part of my
> desk and it runs blender great, works fine with some of the
> (admittedly simple) gl stuff that I'm toying with to learn gl.  It
> does cap out at 6.2.  Reports of 6.5 are out there but seem to be
> false(unfortunately).  The 6.2 cd also is unable to boot a standalone
> fx on a crimson.  So if you don't have prelabled disks you'll need
> annother SGI box or a 5.3 cd to fx the disk.  If you use 5.3 however,
> you won't be able to use XFS.  I seem to have misplaced my 5.3 cd, as
> I was going to ISO this for annother list member doing the same thing.

This box should be able to do quite a lot of real work.  As you mentioned, it
makes a great blender box, as long as you don't go overkill on the textures
(and have a video option that does texturing).  It is a fairly decent
performer box.  It does IrisGL better than pretty much anything else if you
need to do that.  It should be pretty good with gl pixel operations.  As long
as you don't need more CPU power than an r4.4k can provide, this is a great
machine.

I wonder how hard it would be to connect a crimson via HIPPI to something
with more CPU power.  A hippi connection would allow a lot in the way of
offloading processing to a faster machine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd