[rescue] StorageWorks cabinet rescue

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Tue Mar 5 06:56:57 CST 2002

> > > Well, I have since we're under maintainence contract. However, we only
> > > have PCMCIA-cards, so if anyone here knows how to update or read these
> > > cards, let me know.
> >
> > I have a way to read the cards if you have a laptop with
> > Linux on it.
>
> Wonderful. Any chance you can tell me how? I'd send you 3.7Z as a favour
> in return. :-)

Oops, replied to the other before replying to this one.  You
have to have the PCMCIA memory device drivers available.  When
you insert the card, if the proper device drivers are available
you will hear the two tones indicating the card was recognized.
The device will be something like /dev/mem0.  You can check that
you have the proper device by using the strings command to
check the first few readable strings.  If you see a reference
to the VMS directory the card was built from you've got the
right devices (lets say it's mem0).  You now need to copy the
data using "dd if=/dev/mem0 of=hsz37z bs=1024K count=2".

Once you've got that extracted, the file can be uploaded to
an older card using the serial port.

I've got an older card I can use to test if you want.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net