[rescue] AIX tempfs?

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Mon Mar 4 22:31:32 CST 2002

   I have an RS/6000 7013-580 with 512M of memory, possibly to be upgraded
to a gig. This is a lot more memory than it needs for itself. Does AIX
4.3.3 have any sort of memory-resident filesystem? My thought is to have
diskless clients mount swap and /tmp from this machine -- synchronous NFS
writes to a memory-resident filesystem ought to be a LOT faster than to a
disk, after all! Yes, I know that doing so means that if the server has a
problem, the clients are all toast. But half the point of running Unix is
that the server doesn't have problems, right? :) And these are all home
systems, not anything that critical.

   --James B.