[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Mon Mar 4 17:15:45 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:04:47PM -0800, Fogg, James wrote:
    [snip]
> (flame_extinguisher=on)
> Yes, Apple did refer to the native interface as Appletalk, but called it
> phonenet as soon as more than two devices were hooked up. Its actually high
> speed async serial (225kbs or something like that).
> (flame_extinguisher=off)
    [snip]

It was high speed serial. I remember getting my hands on the technical
manual in college and being surprised at how easy it was to build the
phone-net connectors. I got ahold of some plans from a gopher site and
spent a weekend soldering and stuffing the little contraptions into film
canisters and had adapters that worked at least as well as the expensive
ones hawked in MacWarehouse and other catalogs.

Still doesn't make me want to go back to Appletalk.

- Ross