[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 4 15:04:47 CST 2002

~ > Well, what do you expect to do with a appletalk to ethernet
~ gateway?  Run
~ > TCP over appletalk?  Fileshare with your ethernet?  Printshare?
~
~ I have Macs using AppleTalk on AppleTalk media. I would like
~ to set up a
~ gateway to connect them to other meachines using AppleTalk on
~ ethernet.
~ This (if possible, and I think it is) would require some gateway that
~ speaks AppleTalk on AppleTalk media *and* AppleTalk on ethernet... If
~ NetBSD on a Mac could do that, it'd be *really* cool.
~

Conventions:
Protocol, layer 3 on native interface = AppleTalk
Protocol, layer 1+2 = PhoneNet (the native interface in the early Macs)
Protocol, layer 3 on Ethernet = EtherTalk.

And yes, starting somewhere in System 7 you could use IP and Ether/AppleTalk
together. There were several flavors of software for IP on early Macs, Open
Transport being the most confusing and most supported one.

(flame_extinguisher=on)
Yes, Apple did refer to the native interface as Appletalk, but called it
phonenet as soon as more than two devices were hooked up. Its actually high
speed async serial (225kbs or something like that).
(flame_extinguisher=off)