[rescue] hot swap scsi

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Mar 4 14:05:31 CST 2002

[ On Monday, March 4, 2002 at 02:52:33 (-0500), James Sharp wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] hot swap scsi
>
> > Also, will linux, netbsd, or solaris recognize a new device appearing on
> > the scsi bus without a reboot?  I think to some extent Solaris won't because
> > even with a reboot it wouldn't recognize my cd-rom until I did a boot -r.
>
> with netbsd, its "scsictl scan any any" to detect any new device on any
> scsibus.

I normally never power up the CD-ROM and QIC tape drive on my
workstation unless I'm going to be using them -- they make too much
noise to leave on all the time (the SS1+ itself is way too noisy!).

Note that on *BSD systems you likely need to wire down in your kernel
config all your permanent devices (esp. those used in /etc/fstab,
/etc/ttys, or whatever) so that they always appear with the same /dev
name (i.e. with the same major/minor numbers in the device attachment
tables).

Note also that on NetBSD at least you can hot-swap even the root drive,
just so long as you put the exact same data back in at the same ID/LUN
again!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods