[rescue] hot swap scsi

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Mon Mar 4 04:48:52 CST 2002

Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > So, is it possible on linux, netbsd, or solaris to stop traffic to a device?
>
> themselves, but a hotswap drive in a non-array config is usually rather
> useless. :)

No it's not. Not in Linux anyway. I've never tried this util with
Solaris. Probably no chance it'd work.

http://llg.cubic.org/tools/scsiadd.README

> > Also, will linux, netbsd, or solaris recognize a new device appearing on
> > the scsi bus without a reboot?

See above. I've been using scsiadd on linux successfully for a couple of
years now, and it's never done anything bad, despite the author's
disclaimers. I love it. I've used it for internal, external and
hotswappable devices.

I've used it in ways the author never intended, and would be horrified
to know about, like swapping out boot drives.

---sambo