[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 4 12:12:53 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:18:50AM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > > I have been looking for an AppleTalk <-> Ethernet bridge (cheap/free, see my
> > > "cheap" post in geeks), so I can connect my 4 Mac SE, SE/30's to the rest of
> > > the world. I actually like AppleTalk.
> >
> > By a cheap nubus mac, throw an ethernet card in it, and run netbsd?
> >
> I was wondering if NetBSD supported AppleTalk. Do I take your suggestion
> to mean that is does? I installed NetBSD on a Centris 610 (only has a
> 68LC040 chip so it dumps core a lot) but could put it on an LC2 (with an
> FPU) to make a gateway, too...

Well, what do you expect to do with a appletalk to ethernet gateway?  Run
TCP over appletalk?  Fileshare with your ethernet?  Printshare?

For file and print sharing, all you need is Netatalk.  For routing TCP, if it
is even possible, then I suspect that Netatalk also does that.  I could be
wrong though, since I've only dealt with it for serving files to macs over
ethernet.

> Also, not to start a great debate here, but I have FreeBSD, NetBSD and
> OpenBSD available to me. I have installed FreeBSD and NetBSD and prefer
> NetBSD (smaller, simpler install). Should I look at OpenBSD as
> well/instead? OpenBSD is, as I recall, the particularly
> secure-out-of-the-box one. Any other good points?

The only reason I don't use OpenBSD is because I was unable to make bootable
ISOs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd