[rescue] Today's rescue and need Wyse keyboard

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Sat Mar 2 13:11:19 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:40:38PM -0500, James Sharp wrote:
> It would probably make a nice backup server (since thats
> what it was). There were different OS loads for them from
> the manufacturer, but most of them ran Novell Netware and
> Cheyenne ARCServer.

I just dug out PS/2-AT keyboard adapter and video cable and fired the
thing up. The 1Gb Quantum drive has DOS 5.0, NetWare 3.12 and
ArcServe6. They cared for it since they patched NetWare. It has a
non-Y2K compliant BIOS- the date came up 3/2/1902 and won't go past
1999. Not sure if that will affect me much. I can't see spending for a
MrBIOS upgrade or the like.

> You could stick NetBSD/i386 and AMANDA on it and have a
> decent backup engine.

That's what I'm thinking. I put a spare SCSI CDROM into it on the long
shot that I might boot from my Wasabi CD, but the NCR SCSI doesn't
support booting from CDROM. I'll have to scavenge a floppy from another
x86 here and see how it goes.

- Ross