[rescue] Today's rescue and need Wyse keyboard

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sat Mar 2 11:27:52 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:32:29PM -0500, R. Lonstein wrote:
> The Storage Express looks like a late model ISA/PCI 486 in a fancy case
> with a four line front panel LCD and an 8mm drive. I know from Intel's
> site that this stuff was end-of-lifed in 1997 but is the 486-based
> Express usable for anything... like NetBSD, perhaps? It has IDE and
> Floppy connectors on the motherboard and an ISA video card. The other
> cards in it are a PCI SCSI and, naturally, an Intel 82557 NIC. I saved
> it for the 8mm tape but I wouldn't mind using the whole thing.

as far as i remember, that's just a PC that ran a special OS.  should run *BSD
just fine.  you should figure out how to drive that LCD panel. :)

> Also saved an empty Intel SCSI chassis with two full-size 5.25" bays, one
> open (probably held a DLT) and a Storage Express II with a 15/30 DLT and
> the other bay empty but with the plates.

nice score on the 15/40 DLT.

> Was this Intel stuff worth lugging home on a Saturday?

i'd say so, yes.  even if you do toss the PC, the DLT drive more than makes up
for it. :)

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)