[rescue] My first functional VAX

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Mar 2 08:13:59 CST 2002

On  3 Mar, Kenneth Dunn wrote:

> Now I have to figure out how to install from NFS to local drive.
> Oh well will keep me busy for a while.
Just put the NetBSD *.tgz files on a NFS volume, mount this from the
VAX and go on. Uhh. There is a bug in some Linux NFS setups. mountd(8)
tells the client that it can handlew NFS V3, but the Linux kNFSd can
not do that in all Linux versions. So you may have to start the Linux
mountd(8) with "-version-2-only" or the like.
Keep in mind that the NetBSD/vax sysinst programm is a bit buggy. Nobody
is using it, so most of te bugs don't get discovered. If you get
problems I can give you a short "do it by hand" installation
istruction.

> I'm still hunting for VMS CDs/DAT tapes for the VS 4000 96 which
> won't run NetBSD.
??? The VS4k96 will run NetBSD.

> Anyway I WANT TO LEARN VMS :-)
OK. You are a masochist. ;-)