[rescue] StorageWorks cabinet rescue

William W. Arnold warnold at vipnet.org
Sat Mar 2 02:00:51 CST 2002

Eric Dittman writes ---
>Someone has promised me a copy of the latest (last)
>firmware, but I don't have it yet.

Please keep my email address on file for whenever you get it.

[cut]
>Okay, I put a copy in the anonymous ftp directory on
>dittman.net.  All I have is a .ps copy, but I can
>generate a PDF if you need (just tell me whether
>it is for printing or viewing on screen, so I know
>which one to generate).

I'm downloading the .ps now.  I can convert it to
whatever I need myself.  There's no need to go to
any trouble.

>> >Just remember, if you have BA350 shelves, avoid the wide drives.
>> Will do. Even though I don't.
>
>You have a BA35x shelf, just a different model.  The real
>question is, which one?  I'll do some research and see if
>I can find out.  Can you get any specific model number off
>the back of the installed shelves?

The back of the shelves is hidden by the skin of the cabinet,
and that looks to be a fair project to take off.  If I have
free time monday, I'll take it apart.

Looking closer, It's obvious that it's a very integrated
set of shelves.  It looks like it's designed as a single unit.
The right and left walls are a single sheet of steel from top
to bottom, and the bracket that attaches the bottom of one
shelf to the side, also holds the top of the shelf below.

It definately isn't designed to ever come apart into
individual shelves.

-billy- warnold at vipnet.org